Today’s post is brought to you by Tinkerlab sponsor, Imagine Childhood. I first met Sarah Olmsted, founder of Imagine Childhood, when we I interviewed her about her book by the same name. Sarah also has an inspiring shop that outfits children and families for creative adventures. I’m a huge fan of the child-and-earth-friendly supplies that she carries in her shop, and excited to bring you a little piece of Imagine Childhood magic today.
Read on for more details about a generous discount and a fantastic giveaway opportunity!
It can be a challenge sometimes to find a last minute activity for those days when the weather just isn’t cooperating. From snow and ice to wind and rain, some days, no matter how much of a diehard nature enthusiast you are your only option is indoors.
This simple and fun nature silhouette activity is the perfect fit for just those moments and a great holiday gift idea to boot!
What you need:
- Tape (optional)
- Nature guides (books or websites), house plants, and/or photos from sunny days gone by
- Frames (optional)
- Trace: Grab your preferred nature study materials and let the kids pick out their favorite plants and animals. Trace the outlines lightly with a pencil. If you are doing this from a book, thin paper and dark images with a lot of contrast work best. If you’re using photographs or images printed from the internet, tape them a window with your paper on top and use the sun to illuminate the images for easy tracing.
- House plant option: If you have plants in your house, try placing them in front of a light source and tracing their shadows.
- Paint: Once you have your outlines or silhouettes, have fun painting them in. You could put one silhouette per page, or you could make a composition from a few of them.
- Discuss: While the kids are painting, share interesting facts about their plant or animal with them, or maybe even join in on the creative fun!
Gift Giving Options:
Simple and lovely, these silhouettes look great in a frame or on a postcard blank like this. If you want to make a particularly special gift I would even opt for a colorful mat inside the frame in a cameo shape to really set off the artwork.
A Gift For You Too!
Now that you have gifts for your friends and family, we’d like to give a gift to you from Imagine Childhood (total value is $150)!
Today’s giveaway includes:
To enter this generous giveaway, please leave a comment in this post by Wednesday, December 11. The giveaway is open to all readers world-wide. Winner will be chosen by random number generator, and notified shortly after the close of this contest.
One more thing!
Sarah is also offering Tinkerlab readers 10% off all purchases in the Imagine Childhood Shop, with the discount code Tinkerlab, valid through 12/11/13.
Sarah Olmsted. A former exhibition designer for the Field Museum of Natural History, Sarah is the co-founder of imaginechildhood.comand author of IMAGINE CHILDHOOD: Exploring the World Through Nature, Imagination, and Play. Keep up with Sarah on her blog, or via Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter.
Is this your first time here? Join the Tinkerlab network and be the first to know about giveaways like this, easy art + science projects for kids, creativity tips, and simple ideas that will make your life more creative. Sign up for our newsletter here.
30 Days of Sketchbook Prompts
Get the 30 Day Sketchbook Challenge - it's free!