Today we’re going to make tissue paper flowers. These are so easy and economical, and they’re a wonderful spring gift for teachers or moms on Mother’s Day.
Tissue Paper Flower Supplies
This will make 2 tissue paper flowers.
- 1 sheet of gift-wrapping tissue paper, approximately 20″ x 26″. If you’d like to make a bunch of flowers, this is a good deal (affiliate).
- 2 green pipe cleaners (affiliate)
- Cut the tissue paper in half so that you now have two sheets. You can make these any size. We started with tissue paper that was 20″ x 26″ and after we cut it, each piece was 13″ x 20″
- Cut each of those pieces in half. You will now have four sheets. Ours were 10 ” x 13″ each
- Cut each of those pieces in half. You will now have eight sheets of paper. Ours were 7.5″ x 10″
Step 2: Fold and Cut the Paper
- Stack four sheets of paper.
- Pleat the paper in an accordion fold.
- Cut a half-circle shape from the each end. (You could also cut a point or zig-zag)
- Wrap a pipe cleaner around the middle of the paper to hold it in place. This will also act as the stem.
Step 3: Fan out the Flowers
- Fan out the paper.
- Gently separate the first layer of paper from the rest, and move it up to form the top layer of petals.
- Gently separate the rest of the paper layers.
- Fluff out your flower.
- Repeat with the other stack of four papers.
Because we’re big on experiments and self expression, use this as a starting point and see what else you can come up with. If you’re working with children, encourage their imaginations to flourish by asking them if they have more ideas.
- Try making those with tiny sheets of paper
- Make gigantic flowers
- Make multi-colored flowers with different colors of tissue paper
- Cut different shapes off the edges of your petals such as triangles or fringe
- Make a stack of more pieces of paper for a fuller flower
What to do with tissue paper flowers
- Give a bouquet to mom for Mother’s Day
- Give these to a beloved teacher for Teacher Appreciation Week
- Surprise a friend who’s home sick
- Decorate a birthday gift with mini flowers
- Decorate a Christmas tree with flowers