What is the Creative Table Project?
The Creative Table Project invites you to share an image of a creative invitation, prompt, provocation, or set-up. An invitation to create is a carefully designed prompt or provocation to make something. One person sets up an inviting selection of materials, and another person makes something from the materials. There’s no right or wrong way about it. While we may have an idea about how the other person will use the materials, it’s ultimately up to them to determine the outcome.
You can think of this as a sort of game with just a few rules. Adults can step in to offer suggestions or ideas, but the child should mostly be encouraged to find her own way.
How to Set up a Creative Table
- Clear the table of anything that won’t be used in the invitation.
- Artfully arrange the materials to provoke ideas.
- Limit the choice of materials to just a few items.
- Provide clues about how to use the materials, but keep the project open-ended so that original ideas can flourish.
12 Creative Table Articles and Prompts
You can read this post to learn more about this project.
Share your Invitation to Create
There are Three Ways to Play: You can add your Creative Table to my Facebook page. If you’re on Google+ or Instagram, you can add the hashtag #creativetable to your post and everyone can find it easily.
- Take a picture of your creative table (or floor, garden, etc…anywhere that you and/or your kids create) at any point in the creative process.
- This can be a close-up of just the materials or of your children engaged in a project, as long as the materials are the main focus. Think of how this table could inspire someone else.
- Consider the angle and lighting of your shot. Natural light or room lights are better than a flash.
- Please only submit photos of projects in process, rather than completed projects. The picture does not have to reflect a perfect set-up, and can show your table just as it really is.