Between birthday wishes, thank-yous, and the holiday greetings, it seems like every week presents itself with an opportunity to make a homemade card. The idea for this post was prompted by yesterday’s simple DIY pop-up card. While I was writing it, I realized how useful it would be to have a big collection of child-made card ideas in one easy-to-read spot.
HOMEMADE CARDS THAT KIDS CAN MAKE THEMSELVES
If you’re familiar with Tinkerlab, you probably know that we appreciate child-centered projects, experiments, and open-ended creativity. So, for the most part, the cards shared here today have that spirit in their soul. These projects will give you a seed of an idea to start with. Once you set these card-making activities up, you can let your child get into their creative zone as they add their own ideas to the mix.
FIVE HOMEMADE CARD CATEGORIES
For easy navigation, these homemade cards are broken down into five categories: All Occasion Cards, Thank You Cards, Valentine Cards, Christmas and Hanukkah Cards, and Birthday Cards. But don’t let these categories dissuade you from mixing them up, as a Valentine card could easily become a Christmas card by swapping a heart shape for a tree. Thank you to all the blogs who let me share their homemade card ideas with us today!
ALL OCCASION CARDS FOR KIDS TO MAKE
- This is the homemade card that prompted this post: Easy Pop-Up Cards for Kids to Decorate (see photo)
- Lego Print Cards combine paint and your favorite Legos, The Imagination Tree
- Chicken Cards made from plates, The Mad House
- Fingerprint Cards, The Mad House
- Fall Tree Cards, The Chocolate Muffin Tree
- Make big watercolor paintings and then cut them up to create gorgeous Watercolor Notecards, Moomah the Magazine
- Colorful Tape Card, The Chocolate Muffin Tree
- Inspired Painting by Eric Carle, Sun Hats and Wellie Boots
- Watercolor Cards that kids can make, Paint on the Ceiling
- If your child likes to collage with pieces of paper, try these fun Monster cards, Red Ted Art
- Read about how Rebecca’s big plan to make Pumpkin cards was foiled by her kids who had other ideas in these Button Cards which are great for building fine motor skills, Here Come the Girls
- Diwali Card with Paper Scraps, Artsy Craftsy Mom
- Decorate a get well card with bandaids, googly eyes, and whatever else you can think of, Paging Fun Moms
- If making a digital card is more up your child’s alley, the KidZania Card-Making App is worth checking out, iGameMom
HOMEMADE THANK YOU CARDS
- The cut-out window on these Peek-a-boo Cards gives your child the opportunity to think about what to put behind the open space.
- If your child is around kindergarten age, introduce them to the joy of random acts of kindness such as sending a Thank You Card to service members. I love this. Coffee Cups and Crayons
- Her’s another act of kindness to leave happy greeting notes to brighten someone’s day. So Simple!, Coffee Cups and Crayons
- If you have a few thank you’s to write, check out these printable thank you cards with a blank area for your child to add a drawing and a few words of gratitude, The House of Hendrix
- Do you have a stock-pile of art that you’d like to repurpose into something new? Try these Mini-Masterpiece Thank You Cards, The Imagination Tree
HOMEMADE VALENTINE CARDS
- All-in-one Heart Envelope is such a cool way to fold a big cut-out heart into an envelope. Warning: these can be addictive.
- Heart Stencils with Dot Makers, Sun Hats and Wellie Boots
- Stained Glass Cards with Tissue Paper, Sun Hats and Wellie Boots
- How to set up a self-serve card-making station
- These gorgeous Painted Newspaper Heart Cards look like so much fun to make. Check this one out if you need to make a LOT of cards in one fell swoop, You are my Fave
- If you have some paint and a cookie cutter, you’re on your way to making Potato Print Heart Cards, The Imagination Tree
- Tissue Paper Heart Collage, Sun Hats and Wellie Boots
HOMEMADE HOLIDAY CARDS
- Stencil Tree Cards, The Mad House
- Styrofoam Print Christmas Cards will be frame-worthy keepsakes for their lucky recipients, The Artful Parent
- Leaf Rubbing Christmas Card, True Aim Parenting and Education
- Easy Christmas Tree Cards made with strips of shiny tape, Mama Pea Pod
- Tinfoil Collage Hannukah Cards, Scrumdilly-do
- Christmas Balls and Baubles Card, Red Ted Art
- Menorah Handprints, Little Learners Lounge
- We’re doing this for our holiday cards this year: Cut up artwork and turn them into tree shapes for this beautiful Christmas Tree Card, Lilla A
- Super simple Christmas cards made from cookie cutters and paint, Life at the Zoo
- Creating a Christmas Card Writing Area is designed with Christmas in mind, but you could apply this to any sort of card-making event, The Fairy and the Frog
HOMEMADE BIRTHDAY CARDS
- Birthday Card Collage, True Aim Parenting and Education
- Birthday Card made with Paper Straws, The Mad House
- I love the process behind these Whimsical Watercolor Cards, The Chocolate Muffin Tree
- Party Hat Birthday Card, Crafto Art
DO YOU HAVE A FAVORITE HOMEMADE CARD?
If you have a related post or know of an idea that should be including in this collection, feel free to add a link in the comment section.